British Education System

    The British Education System

  • The British Education System operates along the following lines
  • Age of Student 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    Year of Study 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   13  
      Primary Secondary  
        GCSE A Level BA/BSc

Learning in the UK

  • How the UK education system works:
  • Most British children are educated in the state system from the age of four. The school leaving age is currently being raised from 16 to 18, but the final two years can be spent in college or work-related training. Most pupils move on to college at the age of 16 after taking GCSE or equivalent exams.

    Both state and private further education colleges are open to fee-paying overseas students. Some colleges will specialize in academic courses such as A Level or the IB. Others run a full range of vocational courses.

    Most British universities are public institutions, largely funded by the Government. They are increasingly popular with fee-paying overseas students as well as those from Britain. This is the only part of the state education sector for which UK students have to pay.

    However, the UK also has a world-class high quality private education sector which is very popular with international students. This includes independent (public) schools, independent colleges for students aged 16 and up, and of course private language schools. Language schools should be accredited under the Accreditation UK Scheme. Private colleges should be accredited by the British Accreditation Council (BAC).

  • Course Providers:
    • Private Language Schools:
      usually offer a range of different English language courses. They may specialize in different areas, such as business English or English Plus leisure courses. They can usually accommodate all skills levels and offer part time or full time courses, with flexibility about length and start dates.
      Independent Schools and Tutorial Colleges:
      offer a range of subjects and activities all taught in English. Some offer summer programmes.
      Further Education Colleges:
      usually offer courses for students at all levels as well as career-based training and academic courses in classes where other students will speak English as a first language.
      Higher education institutions and universities:
      are more suitable for students whose language skills are intermediate or better. Many specialize in teaching English for academic purposes or foundation courses.